Expat dubai dating

‘I had researched companies in Dubai before I moved over and managed to find a job really quickly.It was so easy to get the visa approved.’ So far, so good. And once you’re on the career ladder, the pace doesn’t seem to slow either.Anna, a 30-year-old writer who used to live in Dubai explains.‘There’s definite sense of restraint when out in Dubai.Biting weather, sweaty central line commutes, barely paid internships and job opportunities thin on the ground – for most of us this is the reality of being a graduate in a British city – which explains why so many of us have looked East for job opportunities – the number of Brit expats in the UAE doubled from 120,000 to 240,000 between 20.As the second largest state or emirate in the UAE after Abu Dhabi, Dubai is more than just the barren outpost in the oil-rich Gulf, it once was. In fact, only about 8% of Dubai’s population are Emirati – the other 92% are expats.If you are a single expatriate in Dubai or Abu Dhabi and are intending to come to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to live, good luck because the UAE does not have a bustling online dating culture.

So how as a young woman in a conservative muslim country, how are you supposed to conduct yourself?Emma says just being a white young woman in Dubai is enough to draw unwanted attention.‘I’ve realised no matter where I go – whatever time or place or what I’m wearing – people are going to stare at me.’ There’s little you can do to avoid it, besides not going out at all.Increasingly – and interestingly – more of these young expats are women. Tales of British expats getting deported – or worse, landing themselves in jail after pissed nights out – are rife, while the gender inequality and habitual sexism sound exhausting. We spoke some twenty-something ladies that recently made the move from Britain to Dubai to find out what life as an expat in is really like.The one thing that everyone but one agreed on is that a move to Dubai will only be a good thing for your career (and your bank balance).

Leave a Reply