some time after the Norman invasion of Ireland in 1169, when it was commanded that a castle be built with strong walls and good ditches for the defence of the city, the administration of justice, and the protection of the King's treasure.Largely complete by 1230, the castle was of typical Norman courtyard design, with a central square without a keep, bounded on all sides by tall defensive walls and protected at each corner by a circular tower.Sited to the south-east of Norman Dublin, the castle formed one corner of the outer perimeter of the city, using the River Poddle as a natural means of defence along two of its sides.The city wall directly abutted the castle's northeast Powder Tower, extending north and westwards around the city before rejoining the castle at its southwestern Bermingham Tower.About 10 years ago Kilrainy Cottage got an architect-designed extension and a complete refurbishment, within and without.It's tastefully (and expensively) decorated inside, with reclaimed floors and Farrow & Ball paint, and it's been given a creditable B3 energy efficiency rating.
) off Dame Street, Dublin, Ireland, was until 1922 the seat of the United Kingdom government's administration in Ireland, and is now a major Irish government complex.
Originally built as a defensive fortification for the Norman city of Dublin, it later evolved into a royal residence, resided in by the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland or Viceroy of Ireland, the representative of the Monarchy.
The second in command in the Dublin Castle administration, the Chief Secretary for Ireland, also had his offices there.
The building survived until 1673, when it was damaged by fire and demolished shortly afterwards.
The Court of Castle Chamber, the Irish counterpart to the English Star Chamber, sat in Dublin Castle in a room which was specially built for it about 1570. Extensive rebuilding transformed it from medieval fortress to Georgian palace.